Naxian marble, renowned for its excellent quality ever since the ancient times, is a huge chapter in local life and economy, shaping characters and leaving a folklore imprint that is seen and felt throughout the island. Ever wondered how this amazing material is created and how our ancestors managed to extract it from the mountains and then manipulate it to create such masterpieces? In this hands-on experience you’ll be taken outside a village in the heart of Naxos where you’ll arrive in an imposing marble quarry. Enjoy a tour of the quarry by one of the owners where you’ll have the opportunity to discuss about ancient and modern methods of mining, quality standards and so much more.
Your next stop will be further up on the Naxian mountains and the village of Apeiranthos, also known as “the marble village”: the ideal setting to enjoy a full lunch in a family tavern and also to marvel at how the people of Naxos managed to build an entire village out of their most beloved material.
And after you have learnt every single thing, you'll attend a 2hour marble sculpting workshop, where a professional marble sculptor will welcome you to their working space and teach you how to create works of art with this amazing material. By the time you leave, you will have carved your personal souvenir to take home with you, a masterpiece of your own!
- Pick up and drop off at guests’ accommodation
- Local escort
- Exclusive access to an impressive marble quarry
- Informative tour by quarry owner
- Visit to the Marble Village (Apeiranthos) and lunch in traditional tavern
- Marble sculpting workshop led by a professional sculptor
- Duration: 6 hours
- Ideal starting time: between 9:00am and 11:00am
- Prices include all food and drinks, guiding services, transportation, all legal taxes